Hello readers , today me and my group going to share a little information about Operating System .
So first of all , WHAT IS AN OPERATING SYSTEM ? (OS)
- Operating system is a set of programs containing instructions that work together to coordinate all the activities among computer and mobile device hardware .
- it also the low-level software that supports a computer’s basic functions, such as scheduling tasks and controlling peripherals.
Operating System Functions .
•A user interface ( UI) controls how you enter data and instructions and how information is displayed on the screen
• With a graphical user interface (GUI), you interact with menus and visual images
In a command-line interface, a user types commands represented by short keywords or abbreviations or presses special keys on the keyboard to enter data and instructions
WHAT IS THE FUNCTION OF OPERATING SYSTEM ? (OS)
Types of Operating Systems :
Desktop Operating Systems ?
A desktop operating system is a completeoperating system that works on desktops, laptops, and some tablets
What is windows 8 ?
Windows 8 offers these features:
– Start screen interface with tiles
–Includes the desktop interface
–Support for input via touch, mouse, and keyboard
–Email app, calendar app, and browser included
–Photos, files, and settings you can sync with SkyDrive
–Enhanced security through an antivirus program, firewall, and automatic updates
– Windows Store offers additional applications for purchase
Server Operating Systems ?
Mobile Operating Systems ?
The operating system on mobile devices and many consumer electronics is called a mobile operating system and resides on firmware .
Android- is an open source, Linux – based mobile operating system designed by Google for smartphones and tablets .
iOS – developed by Apple, is a proprietary mobile operating system specifically made for Apple’s mobile devices .
Windows Phone – developed by Microsoft, is a proprietary mobile operating system that runs on some smartphones .
How an operating system handles programs directly affects your productivity ?
- Single tasking and multitasking
- Foreground and background
- Single user and multiuser
What does the OS provide ?
Operating systems often provide users with a variety of tools related to managing a computer, its devices, or its program :
Automatic Update – automatically provides new features or corrections to the program
• Some operating systems are designed to work with a server on a network
•These multiuser operating systems allow multiple users to share a printer, Internet access, files, and programs
• A network administrator uses the server operating system to:
– Add and remove users, computers, and other devices
– Configure the network, install software and administer